Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Please don't scare the mommy!

So I have debated whether or not to post about what happened last Thursday, because when it comes down to it I of course read into things and scared myself more than anything. But, then I decided the whole purpose of this blog was to remember things. So with that being said, here is the email that I sent to my best friend about what happened to me last Thursday afternoon:

So last night when I left work I got a call from Kaiser ultrasound department stating that they needed to schedule a repeat ultrasound in 3 weeks. Of course my heart dropped and I asked if something was wrong. The girl told me that things were fine (easy to say when you have not had previous issues) and that they wanted to bring me back to recheck the anatomy (no not the boy/girl anatomy) and make sure baby is growing properly. She said that sometimes when they send the films to the perinatologists (high risk drs) they don't see things clearly and want to do a repeat. So I ask her who will be doing the scan - a tech or the perinatologist? She said a tech. So I am trying to think positive and say to myself, ok they are not rushing me back in and its with a tech not the peri. So we schedule the appt, June 9th at 945am.

So I hang up and call Steve, immediately start crying out of fear that "something" is wrong. He tries to calm me down since I am driving and remind me that we are suppose to be thinking positive. Of course he said I was reading into things - um DUH haha I'm a girl thats what I do, especially with our history! Then he told me when I get home if it will make me feel better to email my dr. So I emailed both my drs, reg ob and my high risk dr.

Here was my email and the response from my reg ob (within 8 MINUTES thank god)


From: BETTENCOURT,SHANNON M

Sent: 5/14/2009 5:28 PM
To: Office of KAREN BELINDA GARCIA MD
Subject: Repeat Ultrasound

Hi Dr Garcia,I got a call this afternoon when I was on my way home from the ultrasound department stating that they needed to make another ultrasound appointment for me to better review the anatomy of my baby. I just had one this past Monday, May 11th. The appt is not for another 4 weeks, June 9th, which is when I will be 20w5d.Given my history, you can imagine how nervous/anxious/scared this has made me. Is there anything you can let me know to help calm my worries? The person I talked to tried to put my mind at ease and told me this would give me more pictures of the baby, however all I can imagine is that something is wrong. I am trying to think nothing but positive thoughts.Thanks,Shannon Bettencourt

----- Message -----
RE: Repeat Ultrasound
Printer-friendly version
To:Shannon M Bettencourt
From:KAREN BELINDA GARCIA MD
Received:5/14/09 5:36 PM


Dear Shannon, THis is usually because it was an early ultrasound and the baby's heart is too small to see. They did not see anything abnormal. Just too small.

Take care,
Karen B. Garcia, M.D.

This is the response from Dr Meyer (high risk dr):
Hi Shannon,The ultrasound report does not sound at all suspicious--it simply states that the important anatomy was not well visualized. This is a commonplace occurrence before 18 weeks and usually ends of being fine. We just need the baby to grow a little so we can go through our anatomic checklist to our own satisfaction. So far no abnormalities are suspected and the baby is growing fine. It is just a precaution to lower the chance of our missing an abnormality. Try not to worry about it--so far no red flags have been identified!! Hope all is well.


Dr. Meyer



Sooooo now all is well and I feel MUCH better with double reassurance. Baby Ryan is good, mommy is back to thinking positive and more relaxed and THANK GOD for my doppler because it helped me last night! haha


-------------------

Needless to say even with this double reassurance I have used my doppler DAILY just to remain calm. I swear it was the best $90 I've spent in a VERY long time! Thank you ebay!

No comments: