Well today I am 'officially' out of the first trimester. YIPPEE! Although . . . it was week 13 that I ended up in the hospital 3 years ago with the Pyelonephritis (fancy name for kidney infection for those of you that aren't medical savvy) so nothing but continued positive thinking going on here!
I also found out that I failed the 1 hour glucose test that I had to take last week. So lucky me got to sit at the Kaiser lab yesterday and do a 3 hour repeat test. I saw my results come in last night and thankfully had an appt already scheduled for today. My numbers were all over the place so I was not quite clear what they meant. The breakdown went like this:
Fasting: Standard Range less than 94; mine 95
1 hour: Standard less than 179; mine 160
2 hour: Standard less than 154; mine 165
3 hour: Standard less than 139; mine 65
So it seems that my body is having issues processing the sugar when I eat, yet if I don't eat often enough it gets too low. I'm not sure how "normal" this is since this is all new to me. The "good" news is that they seem to think that I will be able to control this with modified/increased diet and hopefully will not need any medications for it. I have a cute little One Touch Monitor now, you know the commercial "One Touch, One Touch", that I get to do 4 times a day. I was not overly shocked with these results since diabetes runs in the family, I was just hoping to avoid it. Apparently GD typically leads to Type II later in life, boy what fun! Oh this also means that baby owl now has a new nickname . . . Pokey! This kid is gonna have more nicknames by the time its born I won't know what to pick from. Currently with all the pokes I have had to do to get here, and now will have to continue doing, Pokey is the top winner . . . at least in my book.
I have an appt with the nutrition services on Monday so between now and then I will do more research, I'm sure I will have plenty of questions to ask.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment