Thursday, August 27, 2009

Breast feeding class . . . and my thoughts after

So last night I had my rescheduled breast feeding class. It started at 6pm and was scheduled to last until 8:30pm - TWO AND A HALF HOURS! Luckily we were out by 8pm! Let me say, everyone is entitled to their OWN opinions on this topic and I know there are several of you who feel very strongly that breast feeding is the only way to go, so if I offend you, I apologize.

So I went to this class with an open mind, knowing I am going to do/try everything I can to breast feed Ryan. The main reason, if I am going to be honest is the cost savings. Well that and I think this will be my only shot at being able to hold my child. LOL Anyways back to my point . . . the first 10 minutes into the class I could tell that the instructor was very PRO breast feeding and NOTHING else. She went on and on about the benefits for baby and how its "proven" that babies have higher IQ's than formula fed babies, etc etc.

Well this struck a nerve with me. When I had Breanna I was 22 years old, I was returning to work 6 weeks after she was born and she was strictly a formula only baby. Well, 12 years later my formula fed baby is now an honors student in 8th grade who is taking a sophomore level math class. Does this mean that had I breast fed her she would be a GENIUS and already in college at the age of 12??? Doubtful.

For some reason it just really bothers me when people push things on others and make them almost feel guilty for decisions they make in life. Some people just can not and are not meant to breast feed.

Does breast milk have the antibodies that formula doesn't, yes, according to all of the studies, apparently it does. But again, breast feeding is not for everyone. There is a reason that formula has been out for MANY MANY YEARS. If it is so "bad" or "not good" for baby then why is it on the market?

I chose to not speak up, mainly in fear of being jumped in the parking log after the class. I sat their quietly knowing that what I chose for my daughter at that time was fine and that I was 100% OK with my decision.

Now, 12, almost 13 years later, I am in another place and I will attempt to breast feed this baby. Hopefully it works. However, if I can not do it, for whatever reason, then I will attempt to pump. If that doesn't work, then possibly supplement. And if all else fails, Ryan will just have to be another formula fed baby and I will be FINE with that decision.

I'm just wondering . . . is too much to ask to not only be a lactation consultant that encourages you to breast feed your baby, but one that also empathizes and understands and supports you IF for some reason you are not able to do so?

No comments: