Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hormones and the unkown = tears and fun times!

Monday I went in for my routine non-stress test (aka: NST) with Margie. I got there about 10:15 and she started the monitoring right away. I was a little nervous because the entire way to my appt he was somewhat active so I was sure he would not be sleeping now that she needed to see the movement.

Margie was able to find Ryan's heartbeat which was regular but faint so she thought he might have an arm or leg in the way that kept from getting a steady reading. I laid in one position for about 20 minutes and nothing, we turned for another 20 and nothing. Not much movement at all from this stubborn little guy who seemed to be sleeping, go figure. We kept trying to find the right position and nothing was helping, not even the 2 glasses of ice water, 4 saltines and can of diet 7-up! Finally after 2 HOURS, right before she was going to send me to labor and delivery for more monitoring, she got some activity and went to review it with the dr on call since Dr G was out. She came back and said that they were happy to finally see movement but wanted to bring me back the next day for a detailed ultrasound to check his size, fluid, position, etc. No problem. Made the appt for 11:20 on Tuesday and off I went.

Tuesday morning I got up and was in the middle of getting ready when my phone rang to tell me that the ultrasound tech had called in sick and they needed to cancel and since I had an appt next Monday they would just reschedule for then. Well this did not go over very well with this hormonal pregnant lady. I was still feeling little movement, or less movement as I've mentioned before, and since they seemed a little concerned the day before and they were the ones that wanted this done this week I was not going to wait another week. So I told the nurse, or whoever it was that called, that this was not acceptable, that we had a previous 17 wk loss and with the lack of movement this was making me feel uneasy. She told me she would call me back and let me know the plan. . . LOVELY

A little while later I got a call from a different nurse stating that they reviewed my chart with the on call perinatologist and that they wanted me to go to labor and delivery. UMMMMMMM where? So I hang up with her, throw some final things in a bag, throw it in the car, call Steve and off I go. I told Steve not to worry, knowing he is short staffed with a guy on vacation this week, and that I would keep him posted once I got there and knew what was going on. Well about 5 minutes later here come the tears. (FREAK) So I call him back, and ask him if he can meet me there. He asks me what is wrong and tears flow more. I tell him I have no idea, he starts laughing and I'm sure is convinced that I have completely lost it now, tells me he is going to get a car and leave. Thank goodness for the "perks" of working at a car dealership huh? He calls me when he leaves work to see where I am and again asks me what is going on. Then I somehow mumble "Breanna has a game today and she is starting" SERIOUSLY was I really crying because I'm gonna possibly miss a game . . . yep apparently I was.

I get to the hospital and go to check in at L&D. Walk in and once again start crying. The nurse asks me if I'm ok and I say yes and tell her Steve was going to meet me there. She takes me in the room and I get undressed and into the lovely gown and am waiting to be hooked up to the monitors when Steve arrives. As soon as I see him I start crying . . . AGAIN! The nurse comes in, hooks me up and starts the monitoring. While we are sitting there listening to Pokey's heartbeat, I randomly tell Steve . . . "you know Breanna was born at 36weeks 5days." He looks at me strange and says "umm ok and what are you right now?" I tell him "36weeks 5days" and here come more tears. He reassures me (or tries) that if now is the time for Pokey to be born things will be fine.

About an hour later the nurse comes in and apparently all is good. Heartbeat good and steady, no distress and plenty of movement even though I am not feeling it. The dr came in and actually said everything looked "text book perfect" which of course Steve looks at me and shakes his head. She mentioned that he is probably in a new position which is why I was not feeling the movement like I was use to, and reminded me that they do slow down at the end when they are running out of room. She did a quick ultrasound to check the position and fluid level, said everything looked good. About an hour later we get discharged and they rescheduled the detailed ultrasound for Thursday to check his size. So that is now the plan.

If I was having this many emotions with this, I can only imagine how D day is going to be! All I know is that I would rather go to L&D 10 times and get sent home 10 times than not go and have something happen! PLUS . . I did not choose to go to L&D on my own . . . the on-call peri sent me! haha or at least thats what I keep telling myself!

Steve left and went back to work and I stopped by to check on Janin and Johnnie (Janin's stepdad) who were 1 floor up. Johnnie is still holding on but prayers are still needed. It has been over a week since his major stroke. They met with the doctor as a family yesterday and decided to put in a perm feeding tube and will be moving him out of the hospital to a rehab center. Please keep this family in your prayers!!

I got home and laid down and passed out. Woke up in time for Breanna's volleyball game, thank goodness, which was fantastic! She started and played in 3 of the 4 games. Her team is now 2-0. They have another game this afternoon and hopefully that will make them 3-0! She is really enjoying volleyball which is great!

Of course today he has been moving around nonstop - go figure. I haven't done much today, other than treating myself to a much needed mani/pedi! It was LOVELY!!!

Tomorrow I will be 37 weeks! I think a lot of my tears and emotions from Monday and Tuesday was the reality of this long journey we have been on for 4 years is coming to an end soon! I will post after my ultrasound with any updates.

No comments: